ca. 1634 – W. J. Blaeu – Magni Ducatus Lithuaniae
Title: “Magni Ducatus Lithuaniae. . . ”
These are the famous Radvilas (or Radziwill) maps which occupies a very prominent position among works of European cartography from the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century and is an important contribution to the progress in the mapping of the whole continent. The map had its beginning in 1586 when Prince Michael Radziwill commissioned M.Strubicz to survey the entire Lithuanian state which then included Poland. The resulting map was so accurate and detailed that it provided the basis for all subsequent maps of the area during the 17th and 18th centuries: rivers and small communities are not only indicated but considerable historical information is also provided. The magnificent engraving by the well-known Gerard Hesselsz. includes the Lithuanian coat of arms within an elaborate cartouche, an ornate title piece of scroll work, a wind rose, and three ships in full sail on the Baltic Sea.
Second map showing the course of the Dnieper River from Cherkasy to the estuary on the Black Sea. The map is in strip style with two vertical maps following the course of the river, each decorated with cartouches and compass roses and including numerous lengthy notations describing the cataracts, cities, salt mines, fortresses, and the historical traditions of the Kozaks. Putti flank a large cartouche at bottom.
Map Maker: Hessel Gerritsz / Willem Janszoon Blaeu
Sheet size: 75,5 x 79,0 cm + 37,5 x 79,0 cm
Place / Date: Amsterdam / ca. 1634
Technique: copper engraving
Good condition! Few splits and small paper losses are professionally restored. Attractive hand coloring.
This is an original antique map published in ca. 1634 and NOT a modern copy or reprint!
Do not hesitate to ask for more information!