1599 – G. Braun & F. Hogenberg – Anaffa Azaamurum Diu Goa
Title: “Anfa, quibusdam Anaffa; Azaamurum; Diu; Goa”
Nice old color city views of Braun & Hogenberg’s set of Casablanca (Anfa) – Azemmour (Azamor) – Diu – Old Goa (Velha Goa). This work is part of the “Civitates Orbis Terrarum”, the first atlas entirely dedicated to city plans and views of the main cities of the world. Printed in six volumes between 1572 and 1617, it has been translated into Latin, German and French languages.
CASABLANCA (ANFA) : “The engraving shows the ravaged city after 1486. The Berbers arrived in the area as early as the 7th century and their settlement subsequently evolved into the small independent Kingdom of Anfa, which in the 14th century became a major port. In 1486 Anfa was destroyed by the Portuguese, who in 1515 used its ruins to build a fort, called Casablanca, after the nearby burgeoning town of the same name. .” .
AZEMMOUR (AZAMOR) : “Azemmour lies on the left bank of the Oum Rabie River, some 72 km south of Casablanca. In 1486 the small town started paying a tribute to the Portuguese and in 1508 was conquered by them. In 1513, however, when the local governor Moulay Zayam refused to pay the tribute, the town was destroyed..”
DIU : “The engraving shows Diu in cavalier perspective from the sea. The town is encircled by secure ramparts, from which three jetties lead out into the water. Rising above its severely geometric skyline are a number of tall towers that served as look-out posts. The fort at the eastern end of the island, on the right-hand of the picture, was built in 1535. Diu is a small town situated on an island measuring 15 square miles in western India. In the naval battle of Diu, waged in 1509 against a combined fleet of Egyptian, Arab and India forces, it was conquered by the Portuguese. This victory secured Portugal’s supremacy in the Indian Ocean. .. ”
ASILAH : “The entry on Asilah contains accurate information about the city’s history and illustrates, for example, the difficult entrance to its harbour. Founded by the Romans under the name of Zilias, in the Middle Ages the town provided an important strategic base for the Portuguese, who wanted to penetrate deeper into the continent from here. They held the city between 1471 and 1541 and occupied it from 1577 to 1589. . .”.
OLD GOA (VELHA GOA) : “Goa, which lies on a peninsula, is seen across the Mandovi River delta in front of the open sea. A naval battle is depicted on the right: after the Portuguese had discovered the sea route to India in 1489, they used the enmities between the various Indian regional kingdoms to their advantage and in 1510 conquered Goa. The city became the colonial capital of Portuguese India. Portugal would maintain possession of Goa and the surrounding area for 450 years. Old Goa, or Velha Goa, as the city is now called, is the capital of Goa, India’s smallest state, with 1.45 million inhabitants. ..” .
Very good condition! Hand colouring, strong press on original watermarked paper.
This is a genuine antique map published in 1599 and NOT a modern copy or reprint!